Hands up who has two or more black cardigans? Pairs of jeans in the same style? Black kitten heels? Yep, thought so, we all make repeat purchases without chucking out the original.
I really don’t know why I do it, because once the shiny new version is in my wardrobe, the old one doesn’t get a look in, and yet there is something about an old favourite that causes separation anxiety. Usually not fit for a trip to the charity shop, they wink at you from the wardrobe and say ‘better keep me just in case’.
Recently I’ve been on a clearing out mission – in a search for that elusive A/W 15 capsule wardrobe and these are some of the things I’m willing to confess to:
- Black evening dresses – they say everyone should have an LBD, but how many is too many? I have long sleeved, sleeveless, cocktail and full length, plus a lace shift, a chiffon crepe gown with a pink lining and possibly others lurking in boxes. But which ones to give to charity? I think I need them all.
- Black heels – spike encrusted Carvelas, bejewelled sling backs, kitten heels, suede ones that kill me. Easy decision – they can all go except for the Carvelas (which I can barely walk in).
- Sparkly toe post sandals. Don’t get me started on these. I have no idea how many I own, but too many to take on holiday and we don’t exactly live in a climate where they get much wear.
- Black cardigans – three, but they are useful!
- Jeans – lots, all in the same style but I only wear a couple of pairs in rotation.
- Sparkly tops – can’t resist buying more but never have time or the occasion to wear the ones I have.
- Coats – too many! But I have made a start on donating these. Still find it hard to chuck my old day to day coats – even though I look like an itinerant in some of them.
- Gilets – my most common repeat buy. I love them! I have long, short, wool, denim and certainly don’t need them all.
Conversely, there are some things that I need, I hardly ever buy, namely trousers. I have short legs and a longish body so trousers rarely look good on me and I’m reluctant to buy them online because I can’t be faffed sending them back. I have only one pair of black cotton trousers which are all but worn out, yet I can’t find a replacement. I also need shirts, but finding the right one when you are 34DD is not easy – I want them long in the body with no gape at the boobs, but don’t have much success.
Ho hum, I love all this sartorial dilemma stuff really!